Item10471: Search limit= not applied per web (breaks FoswikiSiteChanges)

Priority: Urgent
Current State: Closed
Released In: 1.1.3
Target Release: patch
Applies To: Engine
Component: Search
Reported By: JulianLevens
Waiting For:
Last Change By: KennethLavrsen
I created a task today and noticed that it does not appear on FoswikiSiteChanges

Indeed, I note that not ItemXXXXX topics are appearing, maybe other Webs/Topics are missed. I thought volumes appeared a little low recently I wonder if that's why?

I also noticed that I cannot change the reporting period: i.e. 24 hours, 1 week etc. The page always comes back as 'Since I last checked'

-- JulianLevens - 10 Mar 2011

It appears as though the Search for "all" is not including the Tasks web. It does not have NOSEARCHALL so not sure yet why this is failing. The only difference I could spot between Support and Tasks is that Tasks has NOSEARCHALL set to a space. But I've commented out that line in WebPreferences, and a simplified search still finds no Tasks - unless explicitly set in the web= parm.

This page claims that "limit" is a per-web limit. I cannot see where limit is documented to work this way in the SEARCH documentation. Sort is "per-web" but not limit. The PatternSkin had a lot of updates today, so the Tasks web is hidden by the other changes. Bump the limit and they show up.

Discussing with SvenDowideit if limit= should really be per-web. If it is, then 1.1.3 search is broken.

This simple search: %SEARCH{ ".*" type="regex" web="all" limit="2" }% returns 2 topics per web on 1.0.9, 2 topics total on 1.1.2

So Search on 1.1 is broken, or the definition of limit has changed.

-- GeorgeClark - 11 Mar 2011

Added a new (failing!) Fn_SEARCH unit test. Note that we get different results on each of 1.0.9, 1.1.2/3 and trunk.

1.0.9 - limit per web
1.1.2 - limit across webs
trunk - limit across webs, order changed.


-- GeorgeClark - 12 Mar 2011

See also Item10349.

-- ArthurClemens - 12 Mar 2011

mmm, ok, commited to trunk with change to web order as George doccoed above.

-- SvenDowideit - 14 Mar 2011


I think I fixed the worst of it, but i would like confirmation, and I don't know at this point why I had to remove the extra linefeeds..

-- SvenDowideit - 14 Mar 2011

Sven, Actually I think the web-order piece was intentional. There was another task to force strict alpha ordering to the webs. But the limit was clearly an issue. I came across it while working on the backlog

-- GeorgeClark - 14 Mar 2011

Sorry, I've no useful feedback - I'm not actively developing at the moment. I noticed this problem on and it shows improvement, but that's hardly an extensive test!

-- JulianLevens - 15 Mar 2011

the limit issue appears to be resolved now.

-- SvenDowideit - 17 Mar 2011

Re-opening to fix the unit test which has an extra newline in it.

  • Trunk was already ok, so only committed in the Release01x01 branch

-- OlivierRaginel - 20 Mar 2011

Topic revision: r16 - 16 Apr 2011, KennethLavrsen
The copyright of the content on this website is held by the contributing authors, except where stated elsewhere. See Copyright Statement. Creative Commons License    Legal Imprint    Privacy Policy