This question about Using an extension: Asked
I have installed the LatexModePlugin
and would like to know how to troubleshoot it. At the moment I am getting an error message at the bottom of LatexModePlugin
: "Latex rendering error!! dvi file was not created."
The plugin does not appear in the configure window to correctly set the location of latex, etc. I had to edit LocalSite
.cfg, as suggested on the !LatexModePlugin page
It was not clear to me whether /usr/bin/mimetex is needed. I have only /var/www/cgi-bin/mimetex.cgi.
Also, genpdflatex seem to be unavailable on my computer system.
I hope you could explain at least a few of these issues. Thank you in advance.
- 14 Oct 2010
I tweaked the plugin to work (at least it creates formulas which was of my primary interest), and thus I can say it is a nice combination of tools. I will describe the minimum that was required to make it working.
- One confusion was from a statement where the debug log will be saved. LatexModePlugin description r2 stated that the debug file will be
data/debug.txt, while in fact it was
working/logs/debug.log. Solution: I updated the description.
- A second confusion was from the fact that the latexlog file in the temporary directory contained (and still contains) nothing but the name of it. Solution: To reduce the confusion, I resolved to set
LATEXWDIR to a fixed path in
Render.pm. The log file still contains only the path, the errors and output from, e.g., the
latex command are somewhere.
- Since no output/logs were detectable (
debug.log was actually handy to trace which branches were activated and the values of the variables), I uncommented the
system command that was calling
$PATHTOLATEX and redirected command's output to the log file. The problems became apparent. The plugin was unable to locate
latex.fmt, thus I created a soft link for it (in the fixed working directory). The plugin started to work.
- I have commented out the mentioned
system command, however, the plugin is still working (as long as
latex.fmt is accessible).
- Otherwise, the plugin worked "out-of-the-box," once the variables were set correctly and I reconsiled the
selinux policies with what was needed by the plugin. Solution:
I would recommend that the logs would be produced, otherwise there is no way of tracing the origins of the problem.
- 18 Oct 2010
| Subject || Using an extension |
| Extension || LatexModePlugin |
| Version || Foswiki 1.1.0 |
| Status || Asked |