Reasons to use Foswiki
You like the sound of the technology, but you need to be convinced?
You need to convince your boss?
You think http://www.wikimatrix.org
may not be telling you the whole story?
Here are our top reasons to use Foswiki
- It's free. Totally free. No evil empire lurking in the background.
Foswiki is now one out of few—if not the only—free-and-open-source-wiki for enterprises that has an official association (background) to back it.
- It's fun. You can do amazing stuff really easily.
- It's got a really strong community of developers, users, and professional consultants.
- It's been used in major companies for years; it's got a great track record. See companies using Foswiki and public sites using Foswiki.
- It's got excellent security - both access controls and protection against hackers.
- It's structured, so you can organise and query your data like a database, but write it with the flexibility of a wiki.
- It's got hundreds of extensions, that you can use to configure it 'just so'.
- It's configurable at many levels - from simple stuff like logos, to complex stuff like themes and a site's entire look-and-feel.
- It's constantly evolving, but always with a strong commitment to compatibility. If you need a bit that's missing, it's easy to add it - or find someone else to add it for you.
Foswiki was born as a fork from another project, called "TWiki", which is still around. If you have an existing TWiki installation, you might still be interested in some reasons to upgrade from TWiki