Item10591: Ajax interface: "click to edit" is not the best way to invoke edit mode
Current State: Closed
Released In: n/a
Target Release: n/a
The way to invoke single cell editing is not optimal:
- empty cells show "click to edit" message but in fact it's double-click...
- a table which contains many empty cells is cluttered with
Click to edit statements
- use gray font color for these statements and make them disappear for printing and for copy-pasting of the table
- only show message as mouse-over pop-up on a cell
- optionally hide the statement entirely
- editing a cell which only contains a link (e.g. a WikiWord) is impossible, as double-clicking will -- of-course -- send you to the linked page
- show a small icon in a corner of the cell which is to be clicked for editing (on mouse-over)
- or overlay an (animated) drop-down message "Edit this cell" on mouse-over; the message field should be connected to the cell where the cursor is hovering
- 04 Apr 2011
Happy to confirm these enhancements and proposals for improvements.Anyone who wants to, go ahead and have a go.
- 04 Apr 2011
BTW problem #0 i fixed the "Click" to be "Double click" a while ago.
- 18 May 2011
Problem #1 needs to be solved ASAP. BTW, please don't report more than one problem in one task; it makes tracking much harder!
- 21 May 2011
Decided to go with the extra control as well.
- 23 May 2011
Re-opening the bug:
Fields of type
still show the "Click to edit" message...
- 01 Jun 2011
OK, disabled it for all editor types.
- 03 Jun 2011