OK, the sole purpose of my FOSWiki membership is to try out some of the free Google @Font-Face fonts
- and some general FoswikiSiteSkin
tweaks as part of that.
I think it looks amazingly good!
- tested on FF 3.5 and Safari 4/5 Mac - now does use Google's (presumably browser-sensitive) urls, but probably doesn't fall back that well.
- It does pretty closely resemble the Office 2007 default style, but that's 'cos they chose a nice clean sans font!
- Does not fit the whole screen width, the rationale I got from http://www.germanforblack.com/articles/moving-towards-readable-w3c-specs - they argue that 33em is roughly the optimal line width for human readability. While I have no idea if this is in any way based on actual verified facts, I do know that I find full-width text pretty hard to read (particularly as most modern screens are wide format).
- Don't like the green, it had to go
- Some changes to line spacing. In particular, put a little extra space between list entries (i.e bullet points, numbered lists) - something I've always not liked in basic patternskin
If I get it to some more releasable state, I'll sniff around and post on some skin dev list, but if you stumble across this, adding the following to your user page will let you test it out:
- Set USERSTYLEURL = /pub/Main/PiersGoodhew/openfontfoswikiplay.css
for more info on setting this up.)
Even pages that have quite custom layouts seem to a) work well and b) look good. E.g.: