Feature Proposal: Remove the homegrown Foswiki::Net code that
As pointed out in Item14023
, our homegrown code is quite fragile, and doesn't handle the https://
implementation of the extensions repository. There really is no reason to maintain this when LWP is pretty much universally available.
The limitations of the fallback implementation are significant:
- can only really be trusted for HTTP/1.0 urls. If HTTP/1.1 or another protocol is required, you are strongly recommended to
- Will not parse multipart content
- Will not process redirects (configure relies on this)
Description and Documentation
- Remove the fallback implementation in Foswiki::Net::getExternalResource
lib/Foswiki/Net/HTTPResponse.pm from the MANIFEST
- Change LWP and LWP::Protocol::https to "required" dependencies
- Remove the unit tests for the fallback implementation.
No loss of functionality in Foswiki, and a more robust implemetation for support of external resources.
-- Contributors: GeorgeClark
- 19 Feb 2017